Friday, June 5, 2009

Math Carnival

Because of CIP hours, I decided to volunteer to help out with the game booths today at NUS High for the Math Carnival. And I missed the bus stop outside NUS High in the morning when i am going to there because I didn't bother looking to see if it is the right one.

I have never seen a bus driver who don't even know what building he drives past and the bus stops location. Since this is the first time I am taking to NUS High, I ask the driver to tell me which stop I am supposed to get down the first thing when I get on the bus.

Me: Er... H-h-how do I g-get to NUS High?
Driver: NUS ah, take this bus lor!
Me: A-a-a-s in, w-w-where do... I g-get off? Of course I know take this bus la. If not I come up and ask you for what.
Driver: At that stop la! Stupid la. Got other stops meh.
Me: I mean w-w-which s-stop is it?
Driver: NUS ah, you have to walk a long way one leh.
Me: Huh? I am going NUS High. I am having a bad feeling 'bout this
Driver: Alah! NUS la! The University right?
Me: No, as in NUS High. NUS 的附中.
Driver: NUS where got 附中
Me: Oh ok. Thanks alot. Do you have any idea what is even a 附中?

And that's only the first frustrating conversation of the day. I feel like boxing his face. And I was stuttering because I don't like talking to strangers.

When I finally got there, I was perspiring all over because I was afraid of being late and ran all the way there after getting off at the next stop. And when I got there, I say Primary four kids all over the place. Did I ever say I am afraid of kids? Saw some of my juniors too, but don't think they actually knows me since I don't even thinks the Primary six juniors regconise me.

The game booth I am helping with is called...... AHA! "Economic Crisis". Every one will be given 6 digit cards and they are supposed to form a number given to them using at least four of the cards and the operations, following the rules of BODMAS. No digits should be used twice unless there are two cards with that digit. The digits can be combine to form another number. For example, the digits 3 and 5 can be use to form 53 or 35. They will be given one minute to complete the task.

I spent 5 minutes explaining this rules to those kids. I think the total no. of explanation I make today is 15, since I have to repeat the instructions at least once before they understand.

Now lets proceed to the second frustrating conversation of the day: I have to take a group of five kids at one time and there is this really annoying boy there. At that time, the cards were all over the floor.

Me: Can you return the cards?
Boy: Ok *turn over cards*
Me: As in return the cards
Boy: Orh *turn over cards*
Me: I mean RETURN THE CARDS
Boy: How many times you want me turn over?
Me: OMG. I MEAN RETURN THE CARDS TO ME. 还给我! Which part do you not understand?
Boy: Chey, say earlier mah.

Seriously, what's wrong with that guy? Hearing problem? I was talking really loudly.

Anyway, the picture here shows a few cards, which are yellow in colour, a stack of small papers for workings and for the kids to write their answer on. Three dices, two make by my fellow classmates, stamps and a candy box.

I stole a few candies from there to eat!

I shall end off with the four different favours of polo sweet! Yum yum. But i like gummies more.

No comments:

Post a Comment