Saturday, March 20, 2010

Red Cross sucks to the core.

I don't care what they say about discouraging others from joining this CCA. The truth is, others are discourage from joining it LONG ago. At least those from my class (if they ever plan to change CCA, or at least they will tell their juniors about how bad this whole CCA is). Since the teacher's session don't work, and the CCA is getting even worse, I see no need in trying to be participative or respecting the seniors anymore. They don't deserve my respect, and today, I am going to write down here, point by point, why this CCA so suck, and why this CCA in other schools are so awesome.

1. We are supposed to greet the people older than us (year 3s and year 4s) 'senior' (last time it was ma'am). According to them the 'rationale' behind it was because we are supposed to show respect for the seniors. To put it simply, if we address them seniors and put the word 'senior' behind every sentence to say to them, we are showing respect for them. Can I ask you what kind of logic is that? The seniors are students. They should know that calling teachers Mr or Mrs or Mdm or Ms don't necessarily mean that they respect and like the teachers, and this is exactly what is happening here. I have no respect for the seniors.

2. Saying that the seniors treat the juniors (us, sec 2s) negatively is an understament. They are not just negative, but mean, sarcastic, sadistic, biased, nasty, you name it. I remember when one of the seniors talk to me during the OCBC Cycle event where we are doing our first aid duty, she said that addressing the seniors and being formal is part of the Red Cross tradition, and it should be maintain, not eradicated, because it is how we show respect for the seniors. My point now here isn't about eradicating whatever traditions they want to keep, but about how they expect us to show respect from them. Respect isn't something easily obtain, or else, tell me why, during the Japanese Occupation in WW2, the Japanese make everyone greet them, but ultimately we all hated them. It's not very often that historical figures are revered and respected. Those like Confucius, respected not for their talent, but because they treated everyone nicely and fairly. And that is so unlike the seniors. Respect is two-way. If they want us to respect them, they should respect us too.

3. The seniors are biased, strongly biased in fact, towards the more participative juniors. I do understand there are always instances in life where you prefer something to something else, but personal feelings should not be mixed with school and CCAs. Even I don't do that, no matter how strong my distaste is for them. You see, it so happens that one of the yearmate (of course, the more participative ones) want to stuck up to the seniors, but the only way she can do that is of course pull down and sabotage the less participative yearmate, so she told the seniors that the victim is planning to play truancy and skip CCA. That, of course, is wrong, but the truth is that victim is not planning to do that, and she did turn up for CCA trainings. But the seniors, being biased, decides to record the 'offence' (how could something not even done be an offence I really don't get) down and didnt even ask the victim for an explanation. Do they fail at history? If not, they should know that in SEQ, we are supposed to provided a two-sided answer at least to pass, and they actually believe a one-sided point of the story.

4. That, of course, is not all. Should I also say that they are sarcastic and really mean? This is one incident, the one I will remember for life, to prove it. It so happens that the day before CCA phototaking, I couldn't find my uniform, so I told the seniors nicely that I couldn't find it, and they got an extra uniform for me. However, after I change out of the uniform after phototaking and return to the seniors, three of the seniors approached me, one of which is Hazel Lau. They asked me in an authorative tone how I lost my uniform (when I plainly said that I couldn't find it, and it wasn't lost). After a few more rounds of questions, which I told the that I couldn't find the uniform after ironing it the night before, Hazel asked me this rather offending question: "What sort of flat do you live in that could make you lost your uniform?". Of course this is digressing, and the type of flat I lived in is a private thing, which means I can choose not to answer it, especially when she has a mocking tone to it, and I don't see how it relates to my uniform. Then, she continue on throwing a series of insults, one of which: You live in those common 4-room flats, isn't it? Oh I wonder how you could lost your uniform in those type of small flats. It ain't like you are so rich anyway, you don't live in a big mansion." And you can see that this is a insult. It is most offending for me to hear it of course, because she is mocking my family condition and assuming that I am a poor girl who lives in a small flat. And I did not answer it again, of course. Which is why, now, they assumes I have an attitude problem, because they are mean to me, and I didn't scold bad (which is exceptionally good already, considering my temper I could have punch her right in the face).

5. I wrote the art fest script out, nicely, spending almost two days (8 hours per day) choosing the right songs for the script, making sure it runs smooth and naturally. I review it over and over again, making sure the whole script has feelings, that there is enough lines to show the personality of a character, and not have it end up as a typical lousy Singaporean drama. And the results of my efforts? All the nice parts removed from my script, including the finale song I spend over 2 hours searching for, all the important part of the plot removed, all the effects removed, leaving it just a dry script with no feelings. And all this are of course done by the seniors, without my permission. Firstly, the nature of this competition, every year do their own items. It's a year thing, meaning the sec 2 do our work, the sec 3 do theirs, the sec 4 do theirs and we DON'T collide. However it seems that the sec3s are too free, they have to come over and poke into our performance item, when however it turns out will not affect them at all, and it's defintely none of their business. Yet they control what we do and the way the script goes, and every prop we make requires their approval. Dare I say, they are not respecting me or my efforts put into the writing of this script, but removing all the important parts just two days before the auditions. Must they be so controlling that even our own competition requires their approval? If they want to do this, in the first place, they should just write the script and do the props for us. Isn't it?

This five points are not the worse they did to me, or the other juniors. However, if they, the seniors, happen to read this, I don't really care. Because I tolerated them, but they are really too much this time round. And if I were to invite the juniors and my friends to join such a terrible CCA like this and be tortured by those seniors, I would be then, the most sadistic, most hypocritic person ever lived, no worse than Adolf Hitler.

No comments:

Post a Comment