Friday, June 4, 2010

Teleportation is sort of possible

THIS IS COOL. I was reading "A User's Guide to the Universe: Surviving the Perils of Black Holes, Time Paradoxes, and Quantum Uncertainty" by Dave Goldberg and Jeff Blomquist. I was reading the chapter on Quantum Weirdness and there is this section: "Can I build a transporter, like on Star Trek?".

The book says yes and no. According to quantum mechanics, a electron or another other sort of atomic stuffs (photons?) in the sub-atomic world can be at all places at once. I don't know how that works, plus I read that book early in the morning and my brain isn't clear enough to absorb everything so I will probably reread it again. So anyway, a realistic teleporter, according to the book, does not literally teleports something, but rather destroy the object at this point and make a perfect, literally perfect and same down to the quarks and all, at the place where the object wants to teleport too. And according to the laws of physics, its technically the same object, so it did 'teleport'.

Now imagine, if you put a human, living human being there, the human will be destroyed, but a perfect replica, down to the memories, will be at the other point. This teleported version will be the one copy left of you, but since its exactly the same as you, plus you are destroyed already, then no one can tell the difference. Creepy.

Scientist tried teleporting an atom over a few meters in 2004, and they succeeded. Though it would be less energy comsuming to just carry that atom over the few meters.

Okay back to yesterday bugis street sales. Carol, Huilin and I manage to finish selling all the 27 items within one hour so we had lunch and slack for the next two hours before huilin went home due to gastric pain. Carol and I later sold out 1 item every two minutes, and we went back to get more items. This third round our sales wasn't quite that good, but overall it was still very good. The person in charge wanted us to come back for the next street sales. Which I think I am!

I calculated that by the end of this year I will have close to 100 CIP hours. Hoorray:D I just finish another friendship bracelet.

No comments:

Post a Comment